Monday, July 25, 2011

After Words: Guardian at the Gate

By this writing we are nearing the end of July and my spider-neighbor is still contentedly re-weaving her web each day. (She certainly appears content!) My reason to add a further note is from the lively response the post drew from people and nearly all who did so announcing themselves as admirers of spiders! Betty R. wrote of her own house-dwelling spider who occupied a hall corner for several months and also reminded me of the story of Arachne and Athena.*  My nature-loving neighbor, Dorothy J., described how she relocates spiders she finds in the house outside to the "fresh air" via a broom. Shea R. sent a lengthy note after seeing the blog through the Facebook link (ah yes, through the W.W. Web!), and avowed that my largish spider-neighbor is no doubt female, not male as I'd felt s/he might be. And I had to chuckle when I noticed that my present blog avatar photo is of a dew-spangled spider web I photographed many years ago on a foggy Maine coast morning. It was back in the days of our Canon SLR camera and my experiments with the close-up lens. The morning's cool ocean breeze with its salty tang drifts back to me still over all these years. Thanks to all who shared their thoughts and stories!

*here's a link to a nice retelling of the tale:
http://www.thanasis.com/store/arachne.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment